I am 33 years old and I have never been summoned to jury duty. I am registered to vote and I am licensed to drive and I thought that’s how you get your name on “the list”. According to americanjuror.org jurors must:
- Be a citizen of the United States and of this State
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Reside in the county of jury service
- Be able to read and write
- Be of sound mind
I’ll be the first to admit that at least one of those is in question for me.
The site goes on to say you can’t serve on a jury if:
- You have been convicted of a felony or of any type of theft (unless rights have been restored)
- You are now on probation or deferred adjudication for a felony or for any type of theft; or
- You are now under indictment for a felony or are now under criminal charges for any type of theft.
I don’t believe any of those apply to me. Is it something I said?!?!
Now that I’ve openly expressed my curiosity about not being summoned I’m going to be self-conscious that I’ve unwittingly revealed something about myself. Such as everyone (except me) knows that not being called in for jury duty means ________________.
Today I have received a jury summons… I will tell myself repeatedly that this is just a coincidence.